If you’re looking for a delicious and festive Christmas cookie recipe, look no further than these Christmas Oreo Peppermint Cookies! These cookies are made with everyone’s favorite Oreo cookies, and topped with a peppermint frosting that is sure to get you into the holiday spirit. These cookies are perfect for holiday parties, or for enjoying at home with your family. So what are you waiting for? Give this recipe a try today!
Christmas cookies are a holiday tradition for many people. There are endless possibilities when it comes to recipes and flavors, and no two families make them exactly the same way. Whether you like your cookies soft and chewy or crisp and crunchy, there’s a recipe here for you. Check out our Best Christmas Cookie Recipes – from classic sugar cookies to decorated gingerbread men, there’s something for everyone. So get baking and enjoy the festive season!
Ingredients Needed for This Recipe
Here’s what you need for these amazing cookies!
- Unsalted Butter– Unsalted butter is the best butter to use for Christmas Oreo Peppermint Cookies. Unsalted butter has a higher water content than salted butter. This means that it binds with the flour better, which results in a softer cookie.
- Brown Sugar– The molasses in brown sugar will give the cookies a deep, rich flavor, and the extra moisture will keep them from getting too crisp. So if you’re looking for the perfect holiday cookie, be sure to use brown sugar in your recipe.
- Granulated Sugar–Granulated sugar also helps the cookies spread evenly while baking. Christmas Oreo Peppermint Cookies are best when they’re crisp on the outside and chewy on the inside, and Granulated sugar helps to achieve that perfect texture.
- Large Eggs– Large Eggs are great for Christmas Oreo Peppermint Cookies because they help to give the cookies a light and fluffy texture. When it comes to baking, eggs play an important role in the structure of the final product. The egg whites help to add volume, while the yolks add richness and moisture. Using large eggs ensures that your cookies will have a perfect balance of these elements.
- Chocolate Extract–Chocolate extract is often used in Christmas cookies, as it lends a deep, complex flavor to the cookies. Oreo Peppermint Cookies are a holiday favorite, and the addition of chocolate extract takes them to the next level. The chocolate extract adds depth and richness to the cookies, and the minty flavor of the peppermint perfectly complements the chocolate. Chocolate extract is also a great way to add a touch of luxury to any holiday cookie recipe.
- Cocoa Powder– Cocoa powder is a key ingredient in many Christmas cookies, and for good reason! Cocoa powder gives cookies a rich flavor and a beautiful chocolate color. When combined with peppermint, cocoa powder creates a delicious holiday flavor that is perfect for Christmas cookies.
- Cake Flour– Cake flour has a lower protein content than all-purpose flour, which gives it a more tender texture. When combined with the right ingredients, cake flour can produce a cookie that is light and airy with a melt-in-your-mouth quality. In addition, cake flour helps to create a crisp exterior on the cookie while still maintaining a soft center.
- All-Purpose Flour– All-purpose flour is the best choice for Christmas Oreo Peppermint Cookies. It gives the cookies the perfect amount of structure and allows them to retain their shape during baking. All-purpose flour also has a higher protein content than other types of flour, which helps the cookies to brown evenly and creates a crisp texture.
- Cornstarch– Cornstarch is the secret ingredient in these Christmas Oreo Peppermint Cookies. It helps to create a light, fluffy cookie that melts in your mouth. The cornstarch also prevents the cookie from spreading too thin, so you get a beautifully round cookie every time.
- Baking Soda– Baking soda also helps cookies to spread more evenly while baking, resulting in a more consistent texture. In addition, the alkaline nature of baking soda helps to neutralize the acidity in molasses, cocoa powder, and other ingredients often used in holiday baking. This results in a deeper flavor and richer color in the finished cookies.
- Kosher Salt– Kosher salt is the perfect choice for Christmas Oreo Peppermint Cookies. The larger flakes of Kosher salt dissolve slowly, so they help keep the cookies crisp. In addition, Kosher salt has a more complex flavor than table salt, which helps to enhance the flavors of the cookies.
- White Chocolate Chips– White chocolate chips are the perfect addition to Christmas Oreo peppermint cookies. They provide a beautiful contrast to the dark cookie dough and the bright green mint filling. And, of course, they taste delicious! White chocolate chips are made from cocoa butter, milk solids, and sugar. They have a creamy texture and a sweet flavor that is unmistakably Christmas.
- Mallow Bits– Mallow Bits are little balls of marshmallow that are perfect for decorating Christmas cookies. They come in a variety of colors, including red, green, and white, which makes them perfect for holiday baking. Mallow Bits are also very easy to use; simply place them on top of the cookie dough before baking.
- Chopped Oreos– Chopped Oreos are great for Christmas Oreo Peppermint Cookies because they add both texture and flavor. The crunch of the Oreos compliments the softness of the cookie, and the chocolate pairs well with the mint.
- Christmas Sprinkles– Christmas Sprinkles are good for Christmas Oreo Peppermint Cookies because they help to add color and Christmas spirit to the cookies. Christmas sprinkles come in many different colors, including red, green, and white. They are also available in a variety of Christmas-themed shapes, such as snowflakes and reindeer. Adding Christmas sprinkles to Oreo Peppermint Cookies is an easy way to dress up the cookies and make them more festive.
- Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips– Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips are great for chocolate ganache because they have a high cocoa butter content. This means that they melt easily and have a smooth texture. When making chocolate ganache, you want the chocolate to be as smooth as possible so that it spreads evenly and has a consistent flavor. Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips are also a good choice because they’re not too sweet.
- Heavy Whipping Cream– Heavy whipping cream is a type of cream that has a high fat content. This makes it ideal for use in chocolate ganache. Ganache is a type of chocolate sauce that is made by heating heavy cream and then pour it over chopped chocolate. The high fat content in the heavy whipping cream helps to make the ganache smooth and creamy.
- Powdered Sugar– If you’ve ever made your own buttercream frosting, you know that one of the key ingredients is powdered sugar. But why is powdered sugar so important for this type of frosting? Powdered sugar, also known as confectioners’ sugar, is finely ground sugar that has been mixed with a small amount of cornstarch. This powdery consistency helps to create a smooth and creamy frosting.
- Pure Peppermint– Pure Peppermint extract is a great way to add flavor to buttercream frosting. It’s also a natural coloring agent, so it can be used to tint the frosting a pretty pink or green color. In addition, Pure Peppermint extract has antibacterial properties, so it can help to keep the frosting fresh for longer.
Other Supplies Needed for This Recipe
- Red Gel Food Coloring– Red food coloring is a type of colorant that is most often used in decorating cakes and other desserts. It is usually sold in a gel form, which makes it easier to control the amount of color that is added to the food.
- Large Piping Bag with a Medium Round Tip– Large piping bags are great for frosting cookies because they allow you to get a nice, even coverage of frosting on the cookie. The medium round tip helps to create a nice, smooth edge on the frosting. Large piping bags are also good for decorating cupcakes and cakes. They give you more control over the amount of frosting you use and help you create a more professional looking finish. Large piping bags can be found at most baking supply stores.
Baking Essentials at Amazon:
KitchenAid KSM150PSWH Artisan Series 5-Qt. Stand Mixer with Pouring Shield – WhiteWilton Easy Layers Sheet Cake Pan, 2-Piece Set, Rectangle Steel Sheet PanAmazon Basics Silicone, Non-Stick, Food Safe Baking Mat – Pack of 2Hiware 2-Pack Cooling Racks for Baking, Stainless Steel Wire Rack Baking Rack Oven Rack Cookie Rack, Oven Safe, Rust-Resistant Rack for Cooking, Baking, Roasting and Grilling – Fit Half Sheet PanOXO Good Grips Medium Cookie ScoopPiping Bag and Tips Cake Decorating Supplies Kit Baking Supplies Cupcake Icing Tips with Pastry Bag for Baking Decorating Cake
Can You Make These Christmas Oreo Peppermint Cookies Ahead of Time?
Christmas is a busy time of year, so it’s understandable if you’re looking for ways to simplify your holiday preparations. One question that comes up often is whether Christmas cookies can be made ahead of time. Christmas Oreo Peppermint Cookies are a popular choice, but can they be made in advance?
The simple answer is yes, you can make Christmas Oreo Peppermint Cookies ahead of time. In fact, it’s often preferable to make them a day or two before you plan to serve them. This gives the cookies time to firm up and the flavors to meld. If you’re short on time, you can even make the dough ahead of time and freeze it until you’re ready to bake.
Making Christmas cookies ahead of time is a great way to simplify your holidays. With a little planning, you can have delicious Christmas cookies without all the last-minute stress.
How Should You Store These Christmas Oreo Peppermint Cookies?
Christmas Oreo Peppermint Cookies are a festive and delicious treat that are perfect for the holiday season. But how should you store them so that they stay fresh and tasty? Here are a few tips:
Christmas Oreo Peppermint Cookies should be stored in an airtight container. This will keep them from drying out or getting stale.
Christmas Oreo Peppermint Cookies can be stored at room temperature, in the fridge, or in the freezer. If you plan on eating them within a week or so, room temperature is fine. If you want them to last longer, storing them in the fridge or freezer is a good option. Just be sure to let them thaw out before you eat them!
Christmas Oreo Peppermint Cookies can last for up to two months when stored properly. So if you make a batch now, you can enjoy them all through the holiday season!
Making Christmas cookies together as a family is one of the best parts of the holiday season. From planning and shopping for ingredients to baking and decorating, there’s something for everyone to enjoy.
And of course, the end result is a delicious treat that can be shared with friends and loved ones.
Christmas Cookie Baking ESsentials at Amazon!
Moukiween Christmas Cookie Cutters-9 pieces Holiday Cookie Cutters Set, Big Stainless Steel Christmas Fondant Biscuit Cutters for Christmas Holiday Party and Baking Gift160 Pcs Christmas Wax Paper Sheets for Food Snowflake Hoho Wax Paper Wrapping Bulk Deli Parchment Baking Paper Sandwich Candy Cookies Waterproof Wrappers Oilproof Basket Liners Kitchen Holiday PartyWilton Holiday Shapes Non-Stick Cookie Pan, 12-Cavity120 Sheets Christmas Wax Paper Parchment Paper Cookie Food Liners Colored Candy Wax Baking Grease Proof Holiday Wrapping Papers for GiftsOXO Good Grips 14-Piece Cookie Press SetCCINEE Christmas Cookie Boxes,Kraft Treat Box with Window Ribbons for Bakery Candy Gift Giving Supplies,Pack of 12
So what are you waiting for? Grab your family and friends and get baking! Christmas cookie season is here, and it’s time to celebrate.
More of the Best Christmas Cookie Recipes
- Christmas Unicorn Cookies
- Christmas Chocolate Chip Kiss Cookies
- Ugly Christmas Sweater Cookies
- Christmas Tree Sugar Cookies
You’ll Love these Other Oreo Recipes!
- Snowman OREO Cookie Recipe
- Oreo Stuffed Rice Krispie Treats
- OREO Cool Mint Cookie Balls Recipe
- 3 Ingredient Oreo Cookie Christmas Truffles
Chocolate Cookie Ingredients
- 2 Cups Unsalted Sweet Cream Butter, cold, cut into cubes
- 2 Cups Brown Sugar
- 1 Cup Sugar
- 4 Large Eggs
- 2 Teaspoons Chocolate Extract
- 1 Cup Hershey Cocoa Powder
- 2 Cups Cake Flour
- 3 Cups Flour
- 2 Teaspoons Cornstarch
- 1 1⁄2 Teaspoons Baking Soda
- 1 Teaspoon Kosher Salt
- 3 Cups White Chocolate Chips
- 2 Cups Mini Chocolate Chips
- 1 1⁄2 Cups Mallow Bits
- 3 Cups Chopped Oreos
- Christmas Sprinkles
Chocolate Ganache Ingredients
- 1⁄2 Cup Semi Sweet Chocolate Chips
- 1⁄4 Cup Heavy Whipping Cream
- 1 Disposable Piping Bag
Peppermint Buttercream Frosting Ingredients
- 4 1⁄2 Cups Powdered Sugar
- 1 Cup Unsalted Sweet Cream Butter, softened
- 1 Tablespoon Pure Peppermint
- Large Piping Bag with Medium Round Tip
- Red Gel Food Coloring
- 4 Tablespoon Heavy Whipping Cream
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line two cookie sheets with a silicone baking mat.
- Using a standing mixer, beat the butter, sugar, light brown sugar until light and fluffy.
- Beat in the eggs, 1 at a time until combined.
- Beat in the chocolate extract.
- Using a medium bowl, whisk the cake flour, flour, Hershey cocoa powder, cornstarch, salt and baking soda.
- Gradually beat the dry ingredients into the wet mixture until a dough forms.
- Fold in the white chocolate chips, mini chocolate chips and mallow bits.
- Using a medium cookie scoop, scoop out dough mound into your hand and roll into a ball.
- Place onto the cookie sheet and light press into a thick disk. Bake in the oven for 15-18 minutes or until firm around the edge.
- Using a standing mixer with a flat beater, cream the butter and vanilla until combined.
- Mix in 2 Cups of powdered sugar on low speed until combined - the frosting will look like pebbles.
- Mix in the remaining powdered sugar and slowly increase speed to medium speed.
- Mix in the heavy whipping cream and continue to beat the frosting until it is combined and smooth.
- Divide the frosting into two bowls and mix in a few red gel food coloring drops into one bowl, leave the second bowl color free.
- Scoop the white frosting onto 1 side of the large piping bag and the red frosting onto the other side.
- Using a small pot, bring the heavy whipping cream to a simmer.
- Pour over the chocolate chips in a heatproof bowl.
- Allow it to sit for 1 minute before whisking until smooth.
- Allow it to cool for 10 minutes before scooping into the piping bag.
Chocolate Ganache Directions:
- Using the frosting piping bag, pipe swirls of frosting from the center to the edge of the cookie.
- Cut the tip off the ganache piping bag and pipe ganache on top of the frosting.
- Sprinkle some chopped Oreos on top.
- Drizzle some more chocolate ganache on top and sprinkle holiday sprinkles on top. Enjoy!