If you’re looking for an easy and delicious way to satisfy your sweet tooth, then this Ultimate Chocolate Poke Cake is the perfect recipe for you! This easy-to-follow recipe only requires a few simple ingredients that you likely have in your kitchen right now. With its ooey-gooey chocolate flavor and soft texture, this poke cake is sure to become a new family favorite. So what are you waiting for? Try this Ultimate Chocolate Poke Cake recipe today! You won’t be disappointed.
Many people have a sweet tooth, so why not indulge in an extra special treat like a poke cake recipe? Poke cakes are simply delicious and offer layers of flavor in every slice. Plus, Poke Cake Recipes are surprisingly easy to make – all it takes is a boxed cake mix, your favorite flavor filling (think pudding, fruit preserves, or chocolate sauce!), and some whipped topping or frosting to finish it off. So the next time you want to serve something special for dessert, give a poke cake recipe a try – you’ll be glad you did!
Ingredients Needed for this Recipe
Here’s what you need for this delicious dessert!
- Devil’s Food Cake– Devil’s Food Cake is an ultimate indulgence for any chocoholic. Its deep cocoa flavor and moist yet fluffy texture make it the perfect choice as a base for an Ultimate Chocolate Poke Cake. Not only does Devil’s Food Cake have classic chocolatey notes, but it also takes on quite a unique character when enriched with liqueurs and other tasty additions.
- Vanilla Extract– Vanilla extract is an important ingredient for creating the perfect Ultimate Chocolate Poke Cake. Not only does it add distinct flavor to the cake, but it also helps to bring out the chocolatey notes in the overall recipe.
- Sweetened Condensed Milk– Sweetened Condensed Milk is the perfect choice for anyone looking to make an Ultimate Chocolate Poke Cake with a luxurious, smooth, and creamy filing. It has a unique combination of sweet and creamy that pairs perfectly with the fudgy chocolate cake.
- Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips– Everyone loves chocolate, so it makes sense that chocolate chips make the perfect filling for any Ultimate Chocolate Poke Cake. The delicious combination of soft, creamy cake with bursts of sweet morsels throughout is what gives every single bite an amazing flavor.
- Whipped Topping– There is no denying that Ultimate Chocolate Poke Cake with Whipped Topping frosting is simply divine. But what makes this cake so irresistible? Well, the magical combination of chocolate and Whipped Topping does the trick!
- Cocoa– Cocoa powder packs an intense chocolate flavor for the Ultimate Chocolate Poke Cake frosting without making it overly sweet or sugary. Plus, cocoa is incredibly versatile.
- Mini Chocolate Chips– Everyone loves chocolate, but what could be better than the ultimate chocolate poke cake topped off with mini chocolate chips? They give the cake an extra layer of texture and sweetness that makes it even more enjoyable.
Baking Accessories at Amazon
KitchenAid Classic Mixing Bowls, Set of 3, Pistachio, 3.5 quartsChef Craft Premium Silicone Wire Cooking Whisk, 10.5 Inch, RedKitchenAid Universal Bamboo Tools, 12-InchFE Baking Dish, 11HOTEC Food Grade Silicone Rubber Spatula Set for Baking, Cooking, and Mixing High Heat Resistant Non Stick Dishwasher Safe BPA-Free Multicolor Set of 5OXO Good Grips Stainless Steel Cut and Serve Turner, Black
Why is it Called Poke Cake?
Poke cakes have been a favorite for generations, but have you ever wondered why they’re called poke cakes? Well, the name says it all: these cakes get their name from the many holes that are poked in them after they come out of the oven.
Usually these holes are filled with sweetened condensed milk, evaporated milk, Jell-O, or fruit puree before the cake is iced and decorated. It sounds like a strange concept but it’s actually a genius way to make sure that every bite of cake is full of flavor!
The moistness is unbeatable and the taste truly lives up to its delicious reputation.
When Did Poke Cakes Become Popular?
Have you ever heard of a Poke Cake? These delectable desserts first became popular in the late 1960s, though their origins are unknown. By sticking a dowel or spoon into the finished cake and whisking it around after pouring glaze or filling over the top of the cake, pockets of moist sweetness can be created.
These cakes have been described as having “intense flavor,” with many fans confessing that theirs never make it to dessert – they get eaten during preparation! Poke Cakes have been surprisingly re-popularized from generation to generation over the last five decades. Creative, different ingredients and fillings can be used all year round which is why they remain such an attractive option for birthday parties and many other occasions.
How Do You Store a Poke Cake?
Storing a poke cake is actually quite easy. All you need to do is cover the cake with plastic wrap or foil and then place it in an airtight container. Keep in mind that if your cake has fresh fruit, whipped cream, meringue, or other toppings that could spoil quickly, it may not last as long.
Generally speaking, a poke cake can be stored at room temperature if you’re planning to eat it within three days. After that, store it in the refrigerator and consume it within five days for optimal taste.
If you happen to have more poke cake on hand than you can eat, just pop it into the freezer where it will remain tasty for up to 3 months!
Cake Making Accessories at Amazon
Kootek 35 Pcs Cake Decorating Kit Supplies, 12 Inch Cake Turntable, Baking Supplies Aluminium Alloy Revolving Cake Stand, 2 Icing Spatula, 3 Icing Smoother, 24 Piping Tips, 2 Pastry Bag, Frosting ToolKootek Cake Decorating Kit Baking Supplies Cake Turntable with 2 Frosting Straight Angled Spatula 3 Icing Smoother Scrapers Baking Accessories Tools for Beginners and ProsPursetti Casserole Carriers for Hot or Cold Food, Perfect Insulated Food Carrier for Potluck, HolidayParties/Picnic/Cookouts, Fits 9Piping Bag and Tips Cake Decorating Supplies Kit Baking Supplies Cupcake Icing Tips with Pastry Bag for Baking Decorating CakeWilton Excelle Elite 3-Tier Cooling Rack for Cookies, Cake and More, BlackMueller Electric Hand Mixer, 5 Speed 250W Turbo with Snap-On Storage Case and 4 Stainless Steel Accessories for Easy Whipping, Mixing Cookies, Brownies, Cakes, and Dough Batters
More Poke Cake Recipes!
You’ll Love These Other Chocolate Desserts
- German Sweet Chocolate Pie Recipe
- Easy Crockpot Cadbury Egg Chocolate Cake Recipe
- Instant Pot Chocolate Lava Cake
- Chocolate Cheesecake Cupcakes
- 1 Box of Devil's Food Cake
- 1 Teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- For Chocolate Filling:
- 14 Ounce Can of Sweetened Condensed Milk
- 1 Cup Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips
- For Chocolate Whipped Cream Topping:
- 8 Ounces of Whipped Topping
- 1/4 Cup Cocoa
- 1 Teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 1 1/2 Cup Mini Chocolate Chips
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour a 9×13 inch baking dish and set aside.
- In a large bowl combine all the cake ingredients and add in the vanilla
- Pour it in the baking dish and smooth the top. Bake for 35 to 40 minutes, (until the toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean).
- With a wooden spoon poke holes all over the top of the cake and set aside.
- Place chocolate chips in a heatproof bowl and set aside. In a saucepan bring sweetened condensed milk to a boil and pour it over chocolate chips. Whisk until smooth.
- Pour chocolate mixture over the cake and spread to fill in holes.
- Set aside to cool (about an hour) then refrigerate until completely cooled.
- To make the topping, mix the whipped topping, cocoa and vanilla extract together in a large mixing bowl. Spread it onto cooled cake and sprinkle with mini chocolate chips. Store in the fridge.