If you’re looking for an easy fruit salad recipe to brighten up your next meal, look no further than this classic Ambrosia Salad Recipe. This retro favorite is still popular today and easy to make with delicious ingredients like mandarin orange sections, crushed pineapple, miniature marshmallows, and flaked coconut. Toasted sliced almonds give it a crunchy finishing touch, making it the perfect dish to add a bit of sweetness to any meal. Enjoy!
Whenever I need a quick and easy dessert, I turn to cool whip! With a few simple ingredients like fruit, pudding, and a bit of imagination, cool whip can transform into any kind of delectable treat you’re craving. Whether it’s a luscious lucky-color rainbow cake, an indulgent cream pie or an enticing fruit tart–there’s something special about garnishing desserts using cool whip!
Ingredients Needed for This Recipe
Here’s what you need for this easy and delicious dessert!
- Whipped Topping– The perfect blend of creaminess and sweetness that Whipped Topping brings to Ambrosia Salad makes it truly irresistible. Not only does it give the dish a decadent texture, but it also enhances the flavors of fruits and other ingredients without being overwhelming. Not to mention that because this topping is so light and fluffy, you can enjoy more of the salad without needing too much!
- Mandarin Orange Sections– Mandarin orange sections are the perfect addition to an ambrosia salad recipe. Not only do they have a juicy and sweet flavor, but their unique texture really stands out alongside the other ingredients like marshmallows and coconut flakes.
- Crushed Pineapple– When it comes to ambrosia salad recipes, crushed pineapple really takes the dish to the next level. This flavorsome ingredient adds a burst of sweetness and zesty flavor that complements the light and creamy texture of the other ingredients like coconuts, marshmallows, and oranges.
- Miniature Marshmallows– Miniature marshmallows are an integral part of the classic Ambrosia salad recipe, and for good reason – they bring a delightfully sweet, yet subtle taste to this dessert. Not only do miniature marshmallows provide a burst of flavor, they also bring a chewy texture that pairs perfectly with other ingredients like fresh fruit and crunchy nuts.
- Flaked Coconut– Flaked coconut is the secret ingredient in a delicious ambrosia salad, and it’s easy to see why! The sweet, crunchy texture of flaked coconut adds an interesting texture to an otherwise soft dish. Plus, its subtle sweetness enhances the taste of the container’s fruit salad.
- Toasted Sliced Almonds– Toasted sliced almonds bring a unique crunch and texture to ambrosia salad. Their subtle nutty flavor pairs nicely with the sweetness of marshmallows and coolness of whipped cream – Almonds are one of those ingredients that always make a comeback in this classic fruit salad!
Salad Making Essentials from Amazon
LocknLock Easy Essentials Food Storage lids/Airtight containers, BPA Free, Salad Bowl-16.9 Cup, ClearDOWAN 9.75Pyrex Prepware 4-Quart Rimmed Mixing Bowl, ClearTANAAB Kitchen Wooden Spoons Utensils Set for Cooking Serving, Acacia Wood Spoon Cooking Utensils Apartment Essentials Wooden Corner Salad Spoon Kitchen Set for Nonstick Cookware Housewarming GiftsMuso Wood Acacia Salad Servers,10-inch,set of 2 (Acacia salad servers)HOTEC Food Grade Silicone Rubber Spatula Set for Baking, Cooking, and Mixing High Heat Resistant Non Stick Dishwasher Safe BPA-Free Multicolor Set of 5
Why is it Called Ambrosia Salad?
Ambrosia salad is an iconic part of American cuisine and its name has become equally iconic. There are various theories surrounding the origin of the name, with the most popular being that it’s derived from “ambrosia,” which in Greek mythology referred to a food that was consumed by gods and goddesses.
Another theory suggests that the salad was named after a brand of canned pineapple produced in the late 1800s called ‘Ambrosia Brand’. While its exact origins are unknown, one thing is for sure: ambrosia salad is as heavenly as its namesake implies!
What is the History of Ambrosia Salad?
Ambrosia salad has a long, rich history dating all the way back to the 19th century when it was first concocted by renowned American chef Joel Dean. This recipe features marshmallows, fruits, vanilla pudding and coconut flakes in a delicious combo that quickly gained popularity. Over the years, variations of this simple dessert have included ingredients such as pecans, cream cheese and pineapple juice.
Some versions of ambrosia salad have even used jello or meringue! But one thing was consistent in all recipes- they always used high quality ingredients which gave ambrosia its unique flavor. Since then many people have adopted this sweet dish into their families’ favorite recipes and it continues to be a crowd pleaser at dinner parties.
What are Some Fruit Substitutions for the Ambrosia Salad?
Substituting fruit in an ambrosia salad can be a great way to change up the flavor of the dish while still maintaining its sweet, creamy deliciousness. Try out apples, oranges, and/or bananas in place of traditional pineapple and mandarin oranges. Tossing in some grapes or strawberries will provide a refreshing tartness as well.
If you want something a bit more exotic, try adding kiwis or mangos for some subtler yet exotic sweetness. You can also experiment with dried fruits like raisins or apricots for added chewiness if desired. The possibilities are endless – just have fun with it!
Ambrosia Home Decor from Amazon
Sweet Water Decor Mango + Coconut Candle | Pineapple, Mango, Coconut Milk, Orange and Peach Tropical Summer Scented Soy Candles for Home | 9oz Clear Jar, 40 Hour Burn Time, Made in the USAVintage Rustic Tropical Wall Decor Poster Set -8×10 Hawaiian Coconut, Pineapple, Bananas Decorations – Art for Kitchen, Dining Room, Living Room, Beach House – UNFRAMED Sign Plaque ReplicaRed Leaf Home | Pineapple Coconut Jar Candle | Wooden Lid, Large | Aromatherapy | Botanical Collection | 15ozBarnyard Designs ‘Be A Pineapple’ Retro Vintage Metal Tin Bar Sign, Decorative Wall Art Signage, Primitive Farmhouse Country Kitchen Home Décor, 13Circle E Candles, Ambrosia Scent, Medium Size Jar Candle, 17oz, 2 WicksSummer Colorful Pineapple Pattern Wall Art Canvas Farmhouse Tropical Fruit Theme 11×14 Inch Prints Decor For Home Bedroom Living Room Farmhouse Porch Nursery Classroom, Gift For Pineapples Lovers Kids
More Fruit Desserts You Will Love
- Blueberry Pancake Pie Recipe
- Orange Coconut Salad (Low Calorie) Recipe
- Crescent Rolls Fruit Tart
- No Bake Blueberry Banana Pie
You’ll Love These Other Desserts With Cool Whip
- St. Patricks Day Parfait
- Football Shaped Cake Recipe
- Layered Black Forest Cake Recipe
- Mini Cheesecake Waffle Bowls
- 1 Tub (8 Ounces) Cool Whip Whipped Topping, thawed
- 2 Cans (11 Ounces) Mandarin Orange Sections, drained
- 1 Can (20 Ounces) Crushed Pineapple, drained
- 3 Cups Kraft Miniature Marshmallows
- 2 Cups Baker’s Angel Flake Coconut Toasted Sliced Almonds
- Spread whipped topping onto bottom and up sides of 2 1/2 quart serving bowl. Refrigerate.
- Mix oranges, pineapple, marshmallows and coconut in large bowl. Spoon into whipped topping-lined bowl.
- Refrigerate at least 1 hour or until ready to serve.
- Garnish with almonds.